It's easy to switch to STCU!
Are you a Gen Z who’s mid TikTok scroll? A Millennial who’s tired of avocado toast jokes? A Boomer who types with your pointer fingers? Join us at any age, or any stage.
Oh, and you too, Gen X! You weren’t forgotten, promise.
Unlike the big banks, we focus on our members and your community, not just profits. We would love to count you as a member, where you'll benefit from little to no fees, free financial education, and the satisfaction of being part of something great! Start now when you click the "Join us!" button.
For 18 consecutive years, readers of the Inlander have voted STCU the "Best Credit Union". Find us under the Inlander's list for "Best of Home and Services 2023".
Am I eligible to join?
You don't have to be a teacher to join STCU, In fact, you’re eligible for membership if any of the following apply:
- You live, work, worship, or attend school in Washington state or any of these North Idaho counties — Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Kootenai, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce, or Shoshone counties.
- You have relatives who are eligible. Here's one reason to love your inlaws: if you are related by blood, marriage, or adoption to anyone who meets the eligibility requirements described on this page — even if they have never actually joined the credit union — you can join STCU.
- You’re a college student. Students under 18, or anyone attending a college or university in Washington state or North Idaho, can join.
- You work for an STCU Community Business Partner, one of dozens of businesses that have joined STCU to provide access the region's No. 1 credit union and its benefits.
Your application takes just minutes to complete. Plus, we’ll waive the regular $10 membership fee ($5 for those under 18) when you join online.
Interested in business membership? Learn more about joining with your business.
STCU member benefits.
- No membership fee for employed educators or anyone who joins online.
- Support schools, kids, the arts, and financial education.
- Little to no banking fees.
- Free checking and debit cards, with access to thousands of surcharge-free ATMs nationwide.
- Free mobile app, online banking, and billpay.*
- Member discounts to attend shows, films, exhibits, and other special events, as available.
- Passport Unlimited for instant, year-round discounts at hundreds of participating restaurants, stores, hotels, and more.
- Home loans to owners in Washington, Idaho, and Oregon.
- Free financial education online and onsite workshops.
- Business and commercial services to help grow your business.
- Investment advisors to help with your retirement and financial planning.
Learn more about the credit union difference.
Six ways to maximize your membership.
We asked our employees for the top 6 money-saving deals that every new STCU member should consider:
- Free checking: It's your money, so we don't charge you for it. Plus, your free STCU debit card makes it easy to pay at the store or online, automatically recording every transaction to your statement. Use the card surcharge-free at thousands of ATMS nationwide.
- First5 Savings Account: This one's a no-brainer, as you earn 5.09% APY on your first $500 saved, with no minimum balance!1
- Online banking: Perfect for those who like to check account balances, pay bills, and transfer funds from home or office.
- Mobile app: Download the free STCU mobile app to do your banking anywhere your phone has service.1 Set up alerts for low balances, large withdrawals, and more.
- Online statements: Keep your confidential monthly statements out of the mailbox and safely in your secure, password-protected online account.
- Direct deposit: Get your money fast and secure when your paycheck, investments, government benefits check, and more are deposited straight to your STCU account.
It's impossible to cover every member benefit on one page, so if you have any questions about STCU, we encourage you to chat during regular business hours with an STCU member service representative; call us at (509) 326-1954 in Washington, (208) 619-4000 in Idaho, or (800) 858-3750 toll-free; or visit any of our 34 branch locations.
*Data and other wireless carrier charges may apply. See your phone carrier for details.
1APY = annual percentage yield. APY is accurate as of the last dividend declaration date. No minimum balance required to earn the APY and no penalty for withdrawals. Balances above $500 earn 0.25% APY. Rate is subject to change and may change after the account is opened. STCU membership is required to open account and fees may reduce earnings. One First5 Savings Account per person.
All loans subject to approval.